Pennsylvania Reading Teacher Educators
Call for Outstanding
Master’s Research Paper
Pennsylvania Reading Teacher Educators for more information.
The Research Committee of the Pennsylvania Reading Teacher Educators (a KSRA Special Interest Group) is sponsoring an award for an outstanding paper written to complete requirements for a Master’s or Specialist degree program. Applicants must be a member of the Keystone State Reading Association. The winner will receive a certificate of merit, paid conference registration fee, one night hotel stay. The winner will discuss the paper at PRTE’s Research Roundtable held during KSRA’s 2017 Conference at Hershey Spa & Resort.
To apply for the Master’s Research Paper Award
Master’s research papers may include papers written to complete requirements for a Master’s or Specialist degree program, (e.g., action research, commentary, capstone paper, theoretical paper or thesis).
- Entries should be in the form of a manuscript and should not exceed 3750 words (15 pages). Manuscripts must be typewritten and double-spaced, including quotes and references. Tables and appendices that provide essential information (e.g., instrumentation or other procedures central to the investigation) may be included. References, tables, and appendices will not be counted as a part of the total number of pages or word count.
The title page should provide the following information:
- complete title of the paper
- name of the university
- name and number of the course for which the paper was written
- date the course or paper was completed
- name, mailing address, and e-mail address of the faculty sponsor
- name, mailing address, e-mail address, KSRA membership #, and telephone number of the
An abstract of 75-150 words should provide a summary of the purpose and major findings of the study. The title of the study should appear on the abstract, but there should be no other identifying information.
- Entries must be accompanied by a signed letter from the faculty sponsor on official letterhead indicating the course for which the paper was written and the date of completion of the course or attesting to the degree and the date of its award. Letters on electronic letterhead with a scanned signature may be emailed to Dr. Catherine McGeehan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Master’s or Specialist degree scholarly works completed between December 1, 2015 and June 1, 2017 will be considered. More than one master’s research paper may be submitted from a single university.
- The applicant’s degree program can be in any discipline; however, the topic of the paper must have direct relationship to an aspect of literacy.
- Entries should conform to the official style of the sponsoring university or the APA style guidelines for manuscript submissions.
- An entry may be eliminated from the competition if the applicant fails to follow submission guidelines, exceeds word limits, or submits an incomplete entry. Final determination will be made by the chair of the PRTE Research Committee.
- All entries will be judged by no fewer than two judges who are members of PRTE. The decision of the judges will be final.
E-mail master’s research paper entries to Cathy McGeehan by August 1, 2017 to email@example.com. Send documents as PDF (preferred) or Word attachments including the title page, abstract, and manuscript. Signed letters from the faculty sponsor may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Call for Manuscripts
Pennsylvania Reads: Journal of the Keystone State Reading Association is a refereed journal whose purpose is to provide a forum for literacy educators to share their expertise. Authors are encouraged to submit articles that focus on current classroom practices, research, or information that will help to improve the literacy achievement of students. Short pieces, such as teaching tips, poetry, reviews of research, and book reviews are welcome.
The editors welcome in-depth practitioner-friendly manuscripts related to all areas of literacy and literacy instruction, including new literacies.
Any manuscript submitted to Pennsylvania Reads: Journal of the Keystone State Reading Association should conform to the following standards:
- Manuscripts must be word-processed (.doc or .docx format), double-spaced, and follow guidelines used in APA, sixth edition.
- Although length is not a determining factor for acceptance, manuscripts under 25 pages (inclusive of references, tables, and figures) are preferred.
- Manuscripts must include a cover sheet with title, name of author(s), institutional affiliation, postal address, phone number, and email address. Include an abstract (100-200 words) at the bottom of the cover sheet.
- Please include a short professional bio (4 to 8 sentences).
- Please include a complete title on page one (1) of the manuscript, excluding any identification of the author(s). No affiliation or reference to the author(s) should appear in the manuscript. Substitute “author” throughout to ensure the submitted version is a blind copy.
- Manuscripts must be submitted electronically via email to PAReads@gmail.com. The electronic filename must include only alphanumeric characters, no spaces, and no authors’ names. Example: teachingandcomputers.doc
- Please include a cover letter providing the full title of the manuscript, authors’ names, professional affiliations, and contact information for the lead author.
Manuscripts are peer reviewed; the editors reserve the right to edit all copy.
Submission deadline for the Fall 2018 issue is December 1, 2017.
Questions may be addressed to any of the editors at PAReads@gmail.com
Lynne Dorfman, Janice Ewing, Jan Pizarro, June Shultz, Co-editors
Snail Mail submissions to:
57 Breeze Way
Lancaster, PA 17602